Public hearings into the Grosvenor mine explosion to resume
The Queensland Coal Mining Board of Inquiry will commence its second tranche of public hearings in Court 17 of the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Tuesday 9 March 2021.
Chairperson and Board Member Mr Terry Martin SC said these hearings would deal with matters concerning Grosvenor mine, including the serious accident that occurred on 6 May last year and the 27 methane exceedances that occurred at the mine between 1 July 2019 and 5 May 2020.
“The witnesses currently listed for this tranche of evidence are mining inspectors and industry experts,” Mr Martin said.
“Evidence relating to the continuous inertisation of goafs will also be considered during these hearings.”
A hearing schedule and list of witnesses is available on the Queensland Coal Mining Board of Inquiry’s website www.coalminesinquiry.qld.gov.au.
Members of the public are welcome to attend the hearings in person or can view a live steam of the hearings from the Inquiry’s website. The live stream can be accessed from any internet enable device.
“We understand this inquiry is important to many regional Queensland mining communities, particularly Moranbah, so it is important that we provide an opportunity for all interested members of the public to follow the work of the Inquiry,” Mr Martin said.
Limited public seating is available in the court room. Anyone who wishes to attend in person is reminded that social distancing requirements and other COVID-19 measures apply within Queensland Courts.
Transcripts, exhibits and recordings will be made available on the Inquiry website throughout the course of the hearings.
For more information, please visit www.coalminesinquiry.qld.gov.au.